While this is a great stand alone dish, especially for
vegetarians, it's also a lovely side-dish. It's a great way to
increase both calcium and veggie intake.
1 large head cauliflower cut into florets
1/4 cup butter
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
2 tbsp melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. In a large saucepan, cook cauliflower in
boiling salted water until tender. Drain.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt the 1/4 cup
butter. Saute mushrooms and celery until tender and liquid has
4. Blend in flour and dry mustard to mushroom
mixture. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir
over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from
5. Immediately after removing from heat, add
Swiss cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
6. Place cauliflower mixture in casserole
dish and pour mushroom-sauce over top.
7. Combine cornflake crumbs and melted butter;
sprinkle over casserole.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or
until heated through.
You can also subsitute the cauliflower for